So I have done this a couple of time already but it always failed. After talking to Sitecore we realized that our existing Sitecore instance had file paths that were too long so the 6.6 installer was failing because of the 256 char. file path limit in windows:
Maximum Path Length Limitation
Installer stopped on 119 actions and SQL processor was at 1.5GB so I rebooted my machine.
I ran the installer again and it seems to be running correctly now but again it failed at the end saying it could not find Lucene.NET.
I checked a fresh version of 6.6 for Lucene and all the version numbers are identical to my version but the file sizes are different so i’ll copy the version from 6.6 into mine and try upgrading again … ppphhhhht.
Ok, contacting Sitecore support again as it is failing on:
System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly ‘Lucene.Net, Version=220.127.116.11, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null’ or one of its dependencies
Ill post more when they reply and I try again.
Ok so I got some feedback from the Guys at Sitecore. We were using a Shared source crawler for our indexes. for now I have disabled /App_Config/Include/Indexing.config to /App_Config/Include/Indexing.config.disabled.
I ran the installer again and it worked, although I have 2500 warnings but it looks like it was just alerting me that it was overwriting files.
After this I went through and did all the config changes required for 120918 and 121015 mentioned in the SDN posts above.
Note: Read the instructions for each config change very carefully, one mistake and you will have a world of pain.
So this all went fine. I did notice that I had a couple of config sections missing when comparing to the Sitecore original files on SDN so I amended where required. For example, step 17 here:
In the section, add three new settings related to the Page Preview feature, after the “PageStateStore” setting:
I was missing PageStateStore so I added it in.
After that I needed to make my site run with MVC. As john West states, the latest Sitecore 6.6 installer (exe) enables MVC by default:
But as I was doing an upgrade and not using the EXE I need to do some stuff with config files. I followed the instructions here:
At point 1.1.3 How to install Sitecore MVC.
Right, all done.
The next step is to make sure it all works. I followed Sitecore John West’s post here:
Scroll down to the little heading: “To confirm MVC is working:” and follow his instructions.
Right, now I can get back to actually writing some code.
More to come on Sitecore with MVC in other posts.